Everything was going well, the only thing apart from transport was a reason for us being a unit, we were starting to do as we now had enough men to fill two platoons, I gave basic lessons on the ak-4,grenades and shoulder launched rocket launchers(zolias) we put a stop to the men carrying grenades around and also the taping of two magazines together, the men in our unit were learning both about what weapons they may have to use against the enemy and most of all discipline, we even had three women join us, which I must add was against my wishes. One was called Zora and she was to be our secatery, her sister Nadia in what ever way she could and Tanya was just there as a soldier, even though I thought that we should never have women in this dirty war. During the time that we were in the basement we made several visits to command and on occasion to Geordie(the so called commander of Osijek who was often in the company of Victor from the government who were always sitting drinking Ballantines that's probably why he was so plump) they seemed to be our benefactors so we asked if we could have some money to go to Zagreb to sort of hire a car as we had still not solved our problem of transport, they agreed and gave us what we needed. While we were in the office we noticed a box full of berets, they were brand new and No one in Osijek had been issued with them so we decided to ask for them as well so that only our unit had them, they agreed and we took thirty and thirty badges that was everything we needed plus extra, just in case. On the way back I suggested to Ernie that because we now had berets it would be a good idea if everyone had a short haircut like mine so in the afternoon our whole unit went to the barbers where we were all to have a haircut, it was great because everyone would laugh as someone else sat in the chair, the last were two brothers they had very long hair and were very reluctant and arguing who was going to be the first but eventually one by one their hair started to fall to the ground we were taking photos and I couldn't stop laughing so much I had to wipe the tears away from my eyes, I hadn't laughed so much in age's. We paid and left, everyone was rubbing their hands over their bald heads, it was a new experience for them but it was a great start for PIV, by joining our unit they wanted to be different and now they certainly looked different. The next few hours for us was handing out the berets and badges and trying to put some shape in them by putting them on their heads wet, now they all had a decent haircut and also something to keep their heads warm.
The next day it was awfully quiet, the calm before the storm perhaps, nothing much for breakfast so we decided to try and lay the land line. So off we went house to house laying the wire behind us and then the mortars started again so we hit the ground, lying down was the safest if caught outside, there were pieces of shrapnel hitting the wall near to us and it was not a very safe place to be so we decided to make a run for it, that was the quickest I had ran in a long time, it is amazing how fast your legs move when you're life is at risk, "that was a nice little bit of exercise" Eric said laughing, "yes but it would have been better if we weren't dodging pieces of metal" I replied also laughing. Everyone was there apart from those on guard duty and during the night it had changed from two to three, so I sat down on the bar stool and Eric went behind the counter looking for something to eat and all of a sudden bang and I fell off the stool, they all came t...
Comments
Post a Comment