I remember how many of you in Slavonija and Croatia actually read my articles is it because you are interested in what a foreigners point of view is or do you just read them because they are in the paper? Do you read them and try to understand what I'm trying to say because I write the truth from a soldiers point of view, a Croatian soldier, it is totally different to the governments and it's generals, who is really telling the truth, we as soldiers are being attacked daily or the government who sit in their comfortable chairs and drive around in beautiful car's? Do you read my articles and say to yourself "I agree with that" if you do then you as the people are on the road to democracy. What I write about is what I see and feel, I am not scared to write because I only write the truth. When I go around the town, to a cafe, to a restaurant or to a different army unit, I hear people talking about the same things as I write about, the only difference being that they talk amongst themselves and I write in a newspaper. These people, the people that really matter also dream of a time will come once again to Croatia but a peace on our terms not a peace settled between governments and generals. We and some have died for what we have left of Croatia, let's not give what was taken from us by force stay in the enemies hands, it was never theirs and should never be part of a greater Serbia, you must learn that as a future democratic country you the people have a right to be heard. This country doesn't belong to Dr.Tudman, it doesn't belong to the military, you the Croats have fought for freedom, this country belongs to you. You have the right to say, write and do as any person in any other democratic country does. Our government should know that we do not want to negotiate peace, we want to tell the communists to get off our land. Our president Dr.Tudman is truly a great diplomat but is he a leader of the people? He now wants peace but it seems that he is prepared to sacrifice one third of Croatia to get it. Is he and his government going to stand by and watch the communist insurgents stay on what was once our homeland, it seems to me that they are. The whole of the world's is now on BiH, is Croatia forgotten, does the world realise that the war is still going on no matter what the government says? Do they know that we have been ordered not to return fire and the only reason that we sometimes do fire back is because we don't want to see Serbians or chetniks in our gunsights on our land. Does the world know that the military command in all front line towns and villages do not want to sit back and watch their zones stay occupied by free-lance communists? Do these commanders know that they will be replaced in time by commanders who have been sent by the Government and that these replacements have little if any experience of being a soldier.
The next day it was awfully quiet, the calm before the storm perhaps, nothing much for breakfast so we decided to try and lay the land line. So off we went house to house laying the wire behind us and then the mortars started again so we hit the ground, lying down was the safest if caught outside, there were pieces of shrapnel hitting the wall near to us and it was not a very safe place to be so we decided to make a run for it, that was the quickest I had ran in a long time, it is amazing how fast your legs move when you're life is at risk, "that was a nice little bit of exercise" Eric said laughing, "yes but it would have been better if we weren't dodging pieces of metal" I replied also laughing. Everyone was there apart from those on guard duty and during the night it had changed from two to three, so I sat down on the bar stool and Eric went behind the counter looking for something to eat and all of a sudden bang and I fell off the stool, they all came t...
Comments
Post a Comment