No it's not that stupid film but as the Aussies call it barbie time or in other words b-b-q, a long time ago when there were not so many of us for Sunday dinner it was my job but now we borrow a big barbecue from my daughters fiance and then all the youngsters do it and I think they enjoy it especially now it's sunny and the really good thing is that I don't have to do anything but sit back and enjoy someone else doing the hard work and perhaps just perhaps getting off my bum to go to the loo, I feel sorry for my wife who has to prepare the food but I think that she enjoys it, just like the film "it's a wonderful life" I agree and can't wait until maybe there will be some grandchildren in the future to keep me occupied while I'm waiting for the dinner bell to ring. All around the table, let the mad hatters tea party begin, all diving in to get the particular items of food that they like, talking with their mouthful and bits of food flying all around, food swapping if someone has too much, I suppose that a lot of you who read my blog know what it is like, everyone putting too much on their plate because they're eyes are bigger than their stomach, garlic bread going from one end of the table to the other and in the end empty plates, leftovers for the evening or tomorrows dinner, washing up to do thanks to my wife and one of our daughters dissappears and bones for somebody to take for the dogs as ours aren't allowed to eat chicken bones, something to drink to wash it all down and then getting rid of the rubbish and then for me it's back to sitting on my bum and watching the chaos going on all around me and thinking to myself this is what family life is all about and feeling happy with the goings on and of course my full stomach. If there was a heaven on earth then Sunday b-b-q is it, well for me at least, it's not that I'm lazy but why interfere when everything is being done, the only thing that can spoil this idilic scene is the worst word of all, rain and as I'm writing I hear the sound of thunder spoiling the peace and quiet and hoping that it doesn't rain but at least we have a garage where dinner can be cooked without everyone getting wet so after I've finished I'll go out to the garage and make room for the barbecue just in case. If you enjoyed todays blog and are feeling hungry all I can say is bon appetite, follow, like and share if want. Thank you.
The next day it was awfully quiet, the calm before the storm perhaps, nothing much for breakfast so we decided to try and lay the land line. So off we went house to house laying the wire behind us and then the mortars started again so we hit the ground, lying down was the safest if caught outside, there were pieces of shrapnel hitting the wall near to us and it was not a very safe place to be so we decided to make a run for it, that was the quickest I had ran in a long time, it is amazing how fast your legs move when you're life is at risk, "that was a nice little bit of exercise" Eric said laughing, "yes but it would have been better if we weren't dodging pieces of metal" I replied also laughing. Everyone was there apart from those on guard duty and during the night it had changed from two to three, so I sat down on the bar stool and Eric went behind the counter looking for something to eat and all of a sudden bang and I fell off the stool, they all came t...
Comments
Post a Comment