Why? well as any artist I'm looking at a blank canvas with so many words in my head and I can't decide what to write about, I'm sure it's happened to you for instance when you're trying to decide where you're going to go on holiday or even what you're going to have to eat. It's a terrible feeling when you don't know what to write, I could write about what I think about what's happening in the world but there's so much going on that I can't decide on a specific topic so here I am with the church bells ringing for six o'clock and the start of what should be a working day but today is a catholic and national holiday so there's nothing to do, it's just like a Sunday but it's Independence Day as well so most people are going to church and then going somewhere outdoors to celebrate, eat and drink,I wonder how many people in Croatia really remember with a heavy heart the war and what our independence cost in human lives, I do but I don't want to actually think about it because even though I survived it still haunts me because of all the bad memories that I witnessed and the things that I did while I served in the Croatian army, for me it's just an ordinary day with nothing really to celebrate but the fact that I'm alive, married and have a family who are healthy, for that I'm grateful and that's something to celebrate not a date on a calendar. Well that's all for today but I'm sure that tomorrow I will have something to write about that's worth writing so in a way my empty canvas will not be empty anymore. Thanks for reading today's short blog and if you enjoyed these few words then like, follow and share. Thank you.
The next day it was awfully quiet, the calm before the storm perhaps, nothing much for breakfast so we decided to try and lay the land line. So off we went house to house laying the wire behind us and then the mortars started again so we hit the ground, lying down was the safest if caught outside, there were pieces of shrapnel hitting the wall near to us and it was not a very safe place to be so we decided to make a run for it, that was the quickest I had ran in a long time, it is amazing how fast your legs move when you're life is at risk, "that was a nice little bit of exercise" Eric said laughing, "yes but it would have been better if we weren't dodging pieces of metal" I replied also laughing. Everyone was there apart from those on guard duty and during the night it had changed from two to three, so I sat down on the bar stool and Eric went behind the counter looking for something to eat and all of a sudden bang and I fell off the stool, they all came t...
Comments
Post a Comment