No disrespect to those brave men and women in WWII who were there but I borrowed the title because today means a great day not only for me but for all Croatians. It's do or die, delight, disgrace, despair or tears of sorrow or tears of joy. We will all know the answer at the end of 45mins, the end of hope or the beginning of dreams that do come true. Those dreams lie on the shoulders of eleven players who have yet to show we the supporters that they are worthy to wear the red and white shirts that the whole world knows as the colours of Croatia, the supporters who spend a lot of money to be there in the stadium and those back home watching big screens to see if their heroes can do the almost impossible, they are the ones who really matter and our team must show us that they are worthy of our undying support and admiration. Those footballers must play out of their skin, give every ounce of blood and sweat to give us the result that we need and pray for,the result that. maybe give us a chance to advance to the next stage of the competition and to be where we always were in the top footballing nations of the world not to end up as has beens, let us see the spirit that won our country back from the aggressors during the war on the green grass of Hamburg. Of course I'm talking about football as if you hadn't guessed by now, the sport that both men and women of Croatia love, the sport that puts the name of Croatia on every one's lips when people talk about football and I for one want it to stay that way and not be relagated into the unknown. We'll that's all for now as I have to prepare for an early lunch as I don't want to fall asleep as I often do after eating, I don't want to miss a moment of the build up, kick off and the match which I hope and pray will give us all our pride back. If you enjoyed todays blog then like, follow and share. Thank you.
The next day it was awfully quiet, the calm before the storm perhaps, nothing much for breakfast so we decided to try and lay the land line. So off we went house to house laying the wire behind us and then the mortars started again so we hit the ground, lying down was the safest if caught outside, there were pieces of shrapnel hitting the wall near to us and it was not a very safe place to be so we decided to make a run for it, that was the quickest I had ran in a long time, it is amazing how fast your legs move when you're life is at risk, "that was a nice little bit of exercise" Eric said laughing, "yes but it would have been better if we weren't dodging pieces of metal" I replied also laughing. Everyone was there apart from those on guard duty and during the night it had changed from two to three, so I sat down on the bar stool and Eric went behind the counter looking for something to eat and all of a sudden bang and I fell off the stool, they all came t...
Comments
Post a Comment