While writing my book that I so long ago wrote I can't help but remember this date, this day so many years ago Laslovo fell, everybody remembers Vukovar but how many remember Laslovo, we fought just as hard as those in Vukovar to try and stop Arkan and his chetniks, those who evacuated Laslovo were all heroes just as those in Vukovar but Laslovo was a small village with no real army just the civilians who lived there but the village held out and today as for so many others who were there remember what happened that last day and how many lost their lives, I for one respect those Croatians that were there whatever they're nationality, I try to forget what happened but I can't. RIP heroes of Laslovo.
The next day it was awfully quiet, the calm before the storm perhaps, nothing much for breakfast so we decided to try and lay the land line. So off we went house to house laying the wire behind us and then the mortars started again so we hit the ground, lying down was the safest if caught outside, there were pieces of shrapnel hitting the wall near to us and it was not a very safe place to be so we decided to make a run for it, that was the quickest I had ran in a long time, it is amazing how fast your legs move when you're life is at risk, "that was a nice little bit of exercise" Eric said laughing, "yes but it would have been better if we weren't dodging pieces of metal" I replied also laughing. Everyone was there apart from those on guard duty and during the night it had changed from two to three, so I sat down on the bar stool and Eric went behind the counter looking for something to eat and all of a sudden bang and I fell off the stool, they all came t...
Comments
Post a Comment